An investigation has been launched after a young woman fell from a crowded platform onto underground tracks as revelers continue to fight strikes by subway drivers.
Transport for London has promised a full investigation ‘with all relevant authorities’ after a female passenger fell on the tracks of Tottenham Court Road tube station early Saturday morning.
Passengers using the Central line had already faced crippling delays all evening – due to the scheduled departure of the subway drivers on Friday night – as events took a grim turn.
Eyewitnesses told MailOnline that the subway station platforms were in chaos early Saturday morning, with no staff available to deal with the overcrowding.
People screamed in horror when a woman was beaten on the live tracks. Four members of the public tried to save her, but she was in fact “on the rails,” they explained.
With no staff present at the time, one of the eyewitnesses had to press the emergency stop button on the platform to prevent further tragedy.
The victim was then rushed to one of the capital’s main trauma centers. MailOnline has contacted the London Ambulance Service for an update on her condition.
Emergency services rushed to the scene at Tottenham Court Road tube station on Saturday morning
Passengers using the Central line had already faced crippling delays all evening – due to the scheduled exit of the metro drivers on Friday night – as events took a grim turn
The news comes as passengers on the Night Tube were warned of serious disruptions this weekend after drivers carried out a second series of strikes in a row over rosters.
Members of the Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) union had planned an eight-hour walk on the Central and Victoria lines on Friday and Saturday evenings.
The union claims Transport for London has ‘torn up’ a deal over drivers being allowed to choose whether to work night shifts. More strikes are planned in the run-up to Christmas.
But this industrial action caused serious delays on the Central Line at the time of the incident as revelers struggled to get home.
At around 1.15am on Saturday, TfL tweeted that Tottenham Court Road had been closed due to a ‘customer incident’.
The tweet read: ‘Tottenham Court Road: The Central and Northern Line Station is currently closed. This is due to a customer incident.’
Around 1.15am on Saturday, TfL tweeted that Tottenham Court Road had been closed due to a ‘customer incident’
Transport for London has promised a full investigation ‘with all relevant authorities’ after a female passenger fell on live tracks near Tottenham Court Road tube station early Saturday morning (pictured)
Rail, Maritime and Transport union members (pictured above) had planned an eight-hour walk on Friday and Saturday evenings on the Central and Victoria lines
TfL says passengers were regularly advised to pass through platforms and staff were on hand for customer safety concerns.
The central line was shut down eastbound for 45 minutes when emergency services arrived and cleared the victim from the tracks.
She was then taken to hospital. MailOnline has contacted the London Ambulance Service for further comment.
Nick Dent, Director of Customer Operations for London Underground, said: ‘We are urgently investigating the incident which occurred at around 0045 this morning (Saturday 4 December) at Tottenham Court Road tube station, in which a customer fell on the track.
“We want to reassure customers that the safety of everyone on our network is always our top priority and that our station staff were immediately present at the incident.
‘The customer was then taken to hospital by London Ambulance Services.
“A full investigation will be launched with all relevant authorities into the circumstances of this incident.”
A spokesman for the London Ambulance told MailOnline: ‘We were called to Tottenham Court Road station at 12:50 am on Saturday 4 December due to reports of an injured person.
“We have dispatched an incident response officer, an advanced paramedic and two ambulance personnel to the scene.
“We treated a woman at the scene and took it to a major trauma center.”
Platforms and stations have faced overcrowding in recent weeks as commuters and revelers alike continue to battle subway driver strikes. Pictured: A busy London Bridge station on December 1
It comes amid news that New Year’s Eve revelers won’t be able to get their festive free trip home on the subway this year.
TfL said it would have to charge overnight travel between December 31 and January 1 due to the “catastrophic impact of the pandemic.”
The Tube will still run all night, but passengers will have to pay.
TfL has now said: ‘After the catastrophic impact of the pandemic on TfL’s finances, TfL is unfortunately unable to offer free travel on New Year’s Eve.
“Services on the transport network run through the night so people can enjoy all that London has to offer and get home safely.”