Teenager, 19, who killed five people, including two children when he crashed into a tree with a stolen car, is charged AGAIN driving despite never taking a test
- Jason Lee Asquith was driving a stolen Renault Clio when it crashed in 2017
- It killed five people, including two brothers Ellis and Elliott Thornton, aged 12 and 14
- Asquith admitted to death by dangerous driving and was jailed for four years
- But he was released last year and is now caught behind the wheel again
A teenage killer who killed five people in a horror crash at the age of 15 is back behind the wheel – without a driver’s license, insurance or MOT.
Jason Lee Asquith was driving a stolen Renault Clio when it crashed into a tree in Leeds on 25 November 2017.
Brothers Ellis and Elliott Thornton, aged 12 and 14, were both killed, along with Darnell Harte, 15, Anthony Armour, 28, and Robbie Meerun, 24.
He admitted to causing the deaths of all five people through dangerous driving and was sentenced to four and a half years in prison.
But last year he was released on parole while serving a disqualification from using a car for another seven years and three months.
Last week, Asquith was caught driving again despite never having taken a test.
Judge Peter Collier QC said: ‘It was your driving that night that caused all this aches and pains.’
Brothers Ellis and Elliott Thornton, aged 12 and 14, both died in the horrific crash
Robbie Meerun, 24, lost his life in the fatal accident when Asquith drove a stolen car
The crash scene in Leeds where the five people were killed after a stolen car crashed
The teen was not publicly identified at his first trial in 2019 due to his age.
But now the reporting restrictions don’t apply when he appeared in adult court last week.
JPs in Penrith were told Asquith had been caught driving while disqualified in a Ford Focus in Oak Road, Penrith.
He admitted the offense and had no MOT or insurance. He also pleaded guilty to not stopping when asked by a police officer.
Darnell’s devastated mother Shelley Harte, 39, stormed: ‘He killed five people and got away with it. They let him drive again and he got away with it again.
“He served two years and three months out of four years.” She had no idea he’d moved to the Lake District.
Darnell Harte, 15, died after the stolen Renault Clio crashed into a tree in Leeds in 2017
Anthony Armour, 28, was one of the adult victims of the stolen car accident in 2017
“I am absolutely shocked that he is back behind the wheel. He hasn’t learned his lesson
“He killed five people and is sitting there laughing at us. At least he is old enough to be called differently than before.
“I got a letter from a liaison officer in York about a case. I wiped it, but she wrote again, so I called her.
“She couldn’t tell me what he was in court for, but I just googled it and found it right away.
“He’s been recalled to prison. But between November and May, when his original sentence ends, he can reapply for parole at any time, so he probably won’t serve his full time.
“It’s absolutely disgusting. He has never even had a driver’s license or taken a driving test. He would be banned for years after being released from prison last year.
“If he’s incarcerated again, he shouldn’t get seven days, even if that technically led to his recall. “It sends the wrong message. They give him the green light to drive again and kill someone else.’
He was released early on February 28, 2020. This crime took place in April this year, just over a year after he was released, she added.