Latest Breaking News & Top Headlines

Newcastle ‘target Graham Potter after brilliant start to season with Brighton’

0

The mega-wealthy Newcastle ‘targets Graham Potter after the Englishman’s brilliant start to the season at Brighton…while Antonio Conte is OUT of the running for the role’

  • Brighton is currently sixth – just two points behind table toppers Chelsea
  • Graham Potters has been hailed for turning the team’s fortunes around
  • Newcastle now has the richest owners in the world after Thursday’s takeover
  • Steve Bruce has admitted his days in St James’ Park seem numbered
  • Paulo Fonseca and Steve Gerrard are other big names associated with the role
  • The Magpies are 19th with the joint worst defense – and no wins to their name











Graham Potter is reportedly one of the people on the list to succeed Steve Bruce in Newcastle.

The Brighton manager, whose squad is currently just two points away from Premier League champions Chelsea, has been widely praised for implementing an attractive football brand at AMEX while maintaining a strong defensive unit since Chris Hughton’s takeover in May 2019, with results starting to match performance after 15th and 16th place in the last two campaigns.

The Magpies have had a surreal few days since a Saudi Arabia-led consortium bought the club for more than £300m from highly unpopular owner Mike Ashley and it is believed the new hierarchy is now drawing up a list of targets to succeed Bruce, with Potter among others under consideration, according to The Sun.

Graham Potter’s Brighton side has been the Premier League’s surprise package this season

Now Newcastle’s new backers are believed to have put Potter on a management shortlist

The Seagulls are currently sixth in the standings, two points behind table toppers Chelsea

The Seagulls are currently sixth in the standings, two points behind table toppers Chelsea

Newcastle – who are now the world’s richest club – are currently languishing in the relegation zone and are still looking for their first win this season, with Bruce admitting on the day of the takeover that he fears his time at St James’ Park though minority shareholder Amanda Staveley has not publicly confirmed that a board change would take place after meeting with him.

Former Inter Milan boss Antonio Conte is said to have himself out of the running after he was linked with the job, while Paulo Fonseca and Steven Gerrard have also been named in connection with the role.

However, it can be difficult to lure Potter away from the south coast as he has a contract until 2025 with Brighton, who are sixth in the league table and have the third best defense in the division, after the men of Thomas Tuchel and Manchester City.

Bruce has been heavily criticized by large sections of the Toon Army for much of his tenure since he replaced Rafael Benitez in the summer of 2019.

Football’s low-possession style has bored supporters and an unexpectedly rich form towards the end of last season temporarily masked the shortcomings of a side that has only three points to their name this season and conceded 16 league goals. – the joint highest in the division.

On Tuesday, two days before the takeover was completed, the Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST) called on Bruce to step down and want the club to take swift action to sack him if he does not comply with their request.

A statement read: “We asked our members if they thought Steve Bruce should resign in the interests of Newcastle United, and out of more than 5,000 responses, a staggering 94.3 percent said yes.

Steve Bruce admitted on the day of the takeover that he feared his time at the club was over

Steve Bruce admitted on the day of the takeover that he feared his time at the club was over

Newcastle are 19th in the standings with three points to their name - and no wins so far this season

Newcastle are 19th in the standings with three points to their name – and no wins so far this season

Jubilant Magpies fans wanted new owners - now they want Bruce's successor found

Jubilant Magpies fans wanted new owners – now they want Bruce’s successor found

The NUST board strongly encourages Newcastle United and manager Steve Bruce to listen to the fans. The dissatisfaction among our fan base is completely justified.

“Fans’ optimism is at a serious low and Newcastle United are in serious danger of being relegated for a third time under their current ownership.”

Having greeted the arrival of the new backers, the NUST and many Newcastle supporters hope a change in the hotseat will soon follow.

Advertisement

.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.