Latest Breaking News & Top Headlines

Newcastle: Steve Bruce will face the media despite his job as Magpies boss on the line

76

Steve Bruce will meet the media on Friday afternoon where he will be questioned about his future in Newcastle ahead of the club’s first game under the new Saudi owners.

Sports post understands that Bruce will be sacked for Sunday’s Premier League clash with Tottenham, with Lucien Favre and Rangers boss Steven Gerrard among those linked with succeeding him.

However, the club issued an operation notice on Thursday to say Bruce would attend a media briefing on Friday afternoon.

Steve Bruce will meet the media 48 hours before Newcastle take on Tottenham on Sunday

Club issued an operation notice on Thursday stating that Bruce would be in the media on Friday

Club issued an operation notice on Thursday stating that Bruce would be in the media on Friday

Sports post reported last week that the 60-year-old would be leaving the club in light of the Saudi Arabia-led takeover, and that his pay-off is £8 million. Talks are still ongoing about the terms of his departure.

Amanda Staveley and her advisers have shortlisted within a longer list of names identified as his replacements, but that nomination could take some time to finalize.

Favre, 63, has been unemployed since he left Dortmund last December and turned down an offer from Crystal Palace in June, but is now believed to be ready to return to management.

Leicester boss Brendan Rodgers has also been linked with the job, but the Northern Irishman will resist offers from the Magpies – as he is on the list to replace Pep Guardiola as Manchester City manager in 18 months, as exclusive revealed by Sports post.

Bruce's resignation is the first major decision new CEO Amanda Staveley (left) and the new Saudi Arabia-led consortium have made, Sportsmail understands

Bruce’s resignation is the first major decision new CEO Amanda Staveley (left) and the new Saudi Arabia-led consortium have made, Sportsmail understands

Former Borussia Dortmund coach Lucien Favre is considered Bruce .'s replacement

Former Borussia Dortmund coach Lucien Favre is considered Bruce .’s replacement

Rangers boss Steven Gerrard is also one of the potential candidates to replace Bruce

Rangers boss Steven Gerrard is also one of the potential candidates to replace Bruce

Sources have confirmed the Leicester boss would be on a shortlist to succeed Guardiola at the end of next season. He has admirers at the Etihad and was discussed as a replacement for Roberto Mancini in 2013.

However, there is a feeling that a move to a rival top boss would be politically disruptive at this stage of their ownership, although some have said he is the best man for the role.

Rodgers won the FA Cup last season but is said to have one or two grumbles about decisions at Leicester, particularly regarding recruitment. Sports post also understands that his wife would like to return to the northwest.

Assistant head coach Graeme Jones has been hired on a temporary basis for the sold-out showdown with Spurs on live television. Sources say the new owners have realized that leaving Bruce in place for Sunday’s game risks ruining the lavish atmosphere.

Brendan Rodgers will resist Newcastle's interest as he awaits under Man City

Rodgers' name was part of the conversation between Newcastle's new owners (Photo: New Newcastle Director Amanda Staveley)

Brendan Rodgers (left) will resist Newcastle’s interest as he is also in the picture at Man City

The Leicester boss would be shortlisted to succeed Pep Guardiola at the end of next season

The Leicester boss would be shortlisted to succeed Pep Guardiola at the end of next season

They have also spoken to a number of people in and around the club and know that an immediate change would help the team, which are winless and second at the bottom of the Premier League table. The players resume training this morning after three days off and Staveley is preparing to visit the club’s training ground for the first time this week.

However, her priority is to identify key appointments to positions such as chief executive and sporting director, as well as manager.

Only then can they continue with solid recruitment plans for the January transfer window.

And with squad spots at a premium – the 25 slots are already filled – there’s a distinct possibility that several players will be left out for the rest of the season. That prospect could prompt some to ramp up their performances for the new year.

The Magpies have reportedly been in regular contact with Timo Werner’s agent during a move in January, according to reports in Germany.

Bruce, 60, has been in charge of the Magpies since the start of the 2019-20 season

Bruce, 60, has been in charge of the Magpies since the start of the 2019-20 season

Newcastle fans were overjoyed with the £305million takeover of the club, signed last week

Newcastle fans were overjoyed with the £305million takeover of the club, signed last week

The Tyneside club hope to take advantage of the German’s situation and, according to Bild, they believe they can lure Werner to the club with the prospect of him becoming their main man.

Werner – who was an unused substitute during Chelsea’s 1-0 defeat to Juventus in the Champions League – is reportedly open to a switch if he’s still overlooked at Stamford Bridge.

The club are also reportedly eyeing Luis Campos for their new role as sporting director.

Sky Sports report that one of the first big steps they want to make is to bring in Campos as sporting director, after his impressive spells in France at both Monaco and Lille.

He has made Ligue 1 title winners from both sides and also has an impressive track record of bringing in young talent and selling them on for mega profits.

Newcastle have reportedly been in contact with Timo Werner's agent after the takeover

Newcastle have reportedly been in contact with Timo Werner’s agent after the takeover

The club thinks they can lure Werner with the prospect of him becoming their main man

The club thinks they can lure Werner with the prospect of him becoming their main man

Campos fits in well with his previous experience, spending Kylian Mbappe, Anthony Martial, Thomas Lemar, Bernardo Silva and Fabinho in Monaco before making more than £500m profit from their sale.

At Lille, he then sold a large number of players, including Nicolas Pepe and Gabriel, to Arsenal for a profit of £90 million.

It has been reported that Campos would see Newcastle as a similar project to both Monaco and Lille, in that they have faded glory but have waited a long time to get back to the top.

Campos left Lille last season after their shocking Ligue 1 title win and is currently out of a job, so it would cost Newcastle very little to bring him in.

He has been in high demand before, with players like Tottenham, Arsenal and Manchester United keen to secure his services.

Meanwhile, general manager Lee Charnley was able to stay on for a little longer than the expected brief handover after meeting the new owners last Friday. He has an in-depth knowledge of the club and is seen by the supporters as Mike Ashley’s husband, but is valued as a good operator.

Luis Campos is on Newcastle's radar as they look for a new sporting director

Luis Campos is on Newcastle’s radar as they look for a new sporting director

The club’s takeover was finally approved by the Premier League a week ago, after it received “legally binding commitments” from the new owners that Saudi Arabia would have no control over club affairs.

The Saudi Public Investment Fund (PIF) – which monitors how the country’s state investments are invested – has taken an 80 percent stake in the club.

The board of the PIF is chaired by Saudi Crown Prince Mohammad Bin Salman and seven of the other eight board members are described on the fund’s official website as minister or royal adviser.

.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.