Big Turn in Sydney’s New Year’s Fireworks Row as Furious Minister Steps in to SAVE Beloved Family Display
- NSW Treasurer Dominic Perrottet intervened to save Sydney’s NYE fireworks
- The state government will now take charge of the year-end event
- After Sydney City Council announced the show’s cancellation at 9pm
After the New Year’s Eve fireworks at 9pm in Sydney were canceled and the world-famous midnight show was cut short, NSW Treasurer Dominic Perrottet stepped in to save the day.
The state government is now taking over management of the fireworks displays after Mayor Clover Moore canceled the family-friendly display on Sept. 21.
After initially calling the decision to cancel the show “pre-emptive,” Perrottet has now suggested the event could be hosted permanently by the state government.
NSW Treasurer Dominic Perrottet has announced that the canceled New Year’s Eve fireworks will continue at 9pm (Photo, Fireworks 2020)
“For parents and young children, the family fireworks is the most important event,” Perrottet said.
While saving the fireworks for families, Perrottet is also pushing for a New Year’s Eve party for Covid-19 frontline personnel on the Cahill Expressway.
Last year Gladys Berejiklian’s government led the event after it was canceled by the municipality, but outrage over this year’s cancellation has prompted the government to intervene again.
“NYE isn’t the time for a granny nap, it’s time to celebrate and have a great time,” Perrottet said.
Initially canceled by Sydney City Council, Mr Perrottet (pictured) took responsibility for the fireworks as the state government will take over the event
“We need a little more boom, boom, boom instead of all the gloom, gloom, gloom.
“Sydney and the state deserve a big celebration after two tumultuous years.”
Perrottet explained that by the end of the year the vaccination rate would be close to 90 percent, so canceling the family-friendly show was pointless.
The Sydney lockdown will end when 70 percent of the eligible adult population has been fully vaccinated against the virus, which is estimated to be October 11, with more restrictions slated to be relaxed to 80 percent.
‘Sydney and the state deserve a big celebration after a tumultuous two years,’ said the NSW treasurer (photo, NYE revelers in Sydney in 2020)
But the New Year’s Eve event will still be dictated regardless of public health regulations in effect on December 31.
There is also the possibility that the usually large-scale event can be regulated by special public health regulations set specifically for the event, if necessary.
Currently, NSW is weeks away from unlocking the new freedoms after a surge in vaccine use pushes the projected 70 percent milestone date forward to October 7.
If that milestone is reached earlier than planned, the freedoms will be handed over to residents on Monday 11 October.
Perrottet also wants to host a big New Year’s Eve party for Covid frontline workers on the Cahill Expressway (pictured, the fireworks at 9pm in 2019)
Health officials on Thursday welcomed declining cases in Covid-19-ravaged Sydney’s west and southwest, where new daily infections have nearly halved in the past two weeks.
More than 55.5 percent of 16-year-olds are now fully vaccinated, while 28 percent of 12-15-year-olds have received at least one dose.
Health Minister Brad Hazzard reiterated a plea for everyone to get vaccinated and not listen to ‘the weird guys on social media’.
Western Sydney registered 220 daily infections on Thursday, compared with 444 cases on September 11.
Southwest Sydney had 294 cases, far fewer than the 490 recorded 12 days earlier.