Two Catholic colleges in Minnesota are investigating allegations of an ongoing “sex contest” between men who live in a dormitory on a campus.
A group of St. John’s University students living in Saint Patrick Hall reportedly started a competition to see who could have the most sexual encounters with women at their sister school, the College of St. Benedict.
Two people familiar with the situation, who spoke to student newspaper The Record on an anonymous basis, said the contest will be conducted via a group chat and started with a list of names – all Benedict women – to seduce the men.
The men are also said to have awarded points for various sexual acts, but details regarding the acts, as well as how the match is conducted, remain secret.
It is not known how many students participated in the competition or how exactly it has developed since its inception, or even when it started.
A group of students from St. John’s University (pictured) started a “sex competition” to see who could have the most encounters with women at their sister school, the College of St. Benedict
The partner schools have launched an investigation into the allegations, which spokeswoman Katie Alvino said were first reported in late September.
Due to the ongoing investigation, she was unable to say what the nature of the allegations were or whether they were criminal acts or assault. However, Alvino reiterated that the schools are taking the matter seriously.
“We do not tolerate sexual misconduct in any form,” she told DailyMail.com.
‘We use trained, impartial, external investigators to determine the responsible parties.
“We are committed to creating and maintaining an environment where all members of the community respect the rights and human dignity of all.”
Several students from St. Benedict have expressed concern about the conduct of the investigation, saying they fear their classmates may not understand the gravity of the situation.
“We’ve had conversations with many of our male friends about it and a lot of it is… [implying] make girls [a] we make a big deal out of it and then we’re told that we’re being overly dramatic and that we’re trying to ruin people’s lives,” one woman told the school newspaper.
“That’s just been a consistent thing, that they don’t think these comments or games are wrong. They just consider it a part of their lives.’
The contest, which is said to have been created by residents of Saint Patrick Hall (pictured), is run via a group chat and started with a list of Benedict women who had to seduce the men. It also assigned point values to various sexual acts
Another woman said, “I feel like a lot of people we know guys we hang out with are like ‘oh well we would never do that that’s just their problem’ but then they’ll make comments and do other things, maybe on [a] smaller scale, but they’re still all part of that same cycle of things.
“I feel like they don’t really understand that they also play a small part in a lot of this stuff.
‘They made that choice; we are not trying to ruin their lives; they chose to do their actions, and now they are not responsible for it.
“I’m not ruining their lives, they’re ruining their own lives,” the woman added.
Last week, the administration sent an email to students informing them of the investigation and encouraging anyone with information about the competition to sign up.
They also held mandatory meetings at the residence to address the allegations.
‘[The meetings were] a way to start a conversation about rape culture and the implications of toxic masculinity on our campus,” said Liam Miller, Saint Patrick Hall residential counselor.
‘You can’t just say ‘boys remain boys’, there has to be recognition and accountability.’
As of Tuesday, the school had not yet identified any students involved in the alleged competition.
Several (pictured) students of St. Benedict have expressed concern about the way the investigation has gone, saying that the mandatory meetings in the residences dealing with the matter were not tough enough
Jeff Glover, deputy director of student support, said he is surprised that the school has not been able to obtain solid evidence linking students to the competition.
“With the numbers of people knowing it, I’m surprised we haven’t been able to get a copy of anything,” he told the student newspaper.
“Worse than trying to empathize with people who are outraged about it is that I can’t give them the direct justice they want and I want.
“Sometimes there are people who I think feel like we don’t care about these issues, or that we think guys are going to be guys and we try to sweep things under the rug. And that’s always very hard to hear, because I don’t know, sometimes I don’t know how to better express, I think, how seriously we take this.’