Shooting for Indiana Jones 5 appeared to be back in full swing on Monday after Harrison Ford’s shoulder injury in June, which halted production for three months.
Hatton Garden in London was traced back to the 1960s, where the production crew convincingly decorated the street with American memorabilia.
Old-school cars and vintage storefronts populated the West End hotspot, complete with American mailboxes, rubber tires and weathered posters that read “Blood bank, donors paid.”
Wow! Indiana Jones 5 has resumed filming as London’s Hatton Garden was transformed into 1960s America…
Oh no! The fifth and final Indiana Jones film was originally set to release in 2022, but that was before filming was delayed for three months due to Harrison’s injury (pictured in 2008 in character)
Stacks of New York’s Daily News newspapers lay on wooden slats with the headline “Expel Cuban Spy for Nixon Plot” on the front page, while traditional television and radio sets graced the shop windows.
Harrison had to undergo shoulder surgery after his injury at Pinewood Studios, with the crew using a stand-in for crowd scenes during his absence.
A source told The Sun: “Everyone is relieved to see him again and to be fit.
Convincing: The production crew had convincingly decorated the street with American memorabilia
Throwback: Old-school cars and vintage storefronts populated the West End hotspot
Unbelievable: the set was unbelievably convincing
“It’s been a long ten-week wait for him and the crew. The filming has been postponed, but hopefully it can now be back on track.’
MailOnline contacted Harrison Ford representatives at the time for comment.
Harrison stayed in the UK while recovering from his shoulder injury and was spotted in London several times over the summer.
The movie star shot the film in London, Glasgow and North Yorkshire.
Time Machine: Passersby Were Transported Back To The Swingin’ Sixties
Stacks of New York’s Daily News broadsheets were piled on wooden slats with the headline “Expel Cuban spy for Nixon plot,” on the front page
Trash Can: Waste spilled from a large trash can
Details: American letterboxes, rubber tires and weathered Goldman Sachs posters filled the set
Woah: A lot of effort went into the transformation
Filming was also recently compromised after a norovirus outbreak that spread across the site.
Up to 50 people had to be sent home from Pinewood Studios in Iver, Buckinghamshire, following a spread of winter fallow disease last week.
The fifth and final Indiana Jones film was originally set to be released in 2022, but that was before filming was delayed for three months due to Harrison’s injury.
Display: a selection of vintage cameras filled the window of one store
Lifelike: A laundromat along with clothes on a railing added to the realistic effect
Surprised: Pedestrians looked surprised as they walked down the street
Dilapidated: a dilapidated barbershop sat on a street corner
Coming soon: a poster for a fictional musical was pasted on a wall
It was another blow for the film – in which James Mangold takes on the directing role of longtime director Steven Spielberg – after shooting was previously pushed back due to the coronavirus pandemic.
An insider told The Sun’s Bizarre column that since it was Harrison’s last performance as Indiana, everyone expected it to go smoothly.
They said: ‘After the initial delays, everyone was eager to go. But now Harrison is injured and it is worse than first thought.
Accurate: There was an electrical appliance and a repair shop fitted in the kit
Messy: The street looked very busy with props and garbage bags
Talented: The graphic designers were clearly hard at work creating posters and signs
Disbelief: Londoners stopped to gaze at the spectacular display
Mysterious: ‘Blood bank, donors paid’, read one of the signs
“The film’s bosses have come together to work out the schedule and it’s chaos. They think they can start production again in September at the earliest.
“It wasn’t what anyone expected, so to have to change everything is a huge blow. Everyone was worried about Harrison and they’re glad he’s on the mend.”
Raiders Of The Lost Ark director Steven Spielberg famously referred to himself as “an idiot” for allowing Harrison to perform his own stunts, including one that involved the protagonist avoiding a 300-pound prop.
Shock: Raiders Of The Lost Ark director Steven Spielberg famously called himself “an idiot” for allowing Harrison to perform his own stunts, including one that involved the starring actor having to dodge a 300-pound prop (pictured in 2008 in character)