Australia

Dodgy Chinese restaurant in Sydney fined $3520 for hygiene violations

Boxes of meat 6 inches from the dirty floor, noodles in buckets and ‘dangerous food’: Sydney’s dodgy Chinese restaurant fined $3520 for hygiene violations

  • Jilin Family Restaurant in Chatswood kept meat in boxes on the floor
  • Willoughby Council probably thought the food was not protected from contamination tegen
  • Inspectors took photos of the breaches after a tip from a member of the public
  • More than 100 Sydney eateries have been fined so far this year

A Sydney council has fined thousands of dollars for a Chinese restaurant that had boxes of meat on the floor.

Willoughby Council on Sydney’s North Shore has fined the Jilin Family Restaurant in Chatswood $3520 for a number of violations of the NSW Food Authority’s food safety standards after inspectors found the site had stored food in a manner unlikely to protect against contamination.

Four violations were issued when inspectors photographed boxes of meat, noodles and a pan of meat, stored on concrete floors in a narrow hallway.

The council was tipped off by a citizen.

Meat is visible in boxes kept on the floor in a hallway of the Jilin Family Restaurant in Chatswood, NSW

Meat is visible in boxes kept on the floor in a hallway of the Jilin Family Restaurant in Chatswood, NSW

The restaurant was fined $3520 for a number of food safety standards violations after inspectors found the location had stored food in a way that was unlikely to protect against contamination.

The restaurant was fined $3520 for a number of food safety standards violations after inspectors found the location had stored food in a way that was unlikely to protect against contamination.

The restaurant was fined $3520 for a number of food safety standards violations after inspectors found the location had stored food in a way that was unlikely to protect against contamination.

Food safety standards in Australia require food to be kept at least 6 inches from the ground.

Jilin’s manager Sean Liu told the North Shore Times that the breaches were the result of new, untrained staff.

“When the inspectors came, we had new staff training – it was unfortunate timing because the manager wasn’t there,” said Mr. Liu. “He was unwell.”

Mr. Liu said that the staff was no longer at the restaurant and that Jilin hadn’t had a hygiene problem before.

“There was a big plate of food by the floor, but it didn’t really touch the floor and the meat wasn’t served to customers,” he said.

The restaurant manager blamed new, untrained staff for the hygiene violation

The restaurant manager blamed new, untrained staff for the hygiene violation

The restaurant manager blamed new, untrained staff for the hygiene violation

Nevertheless, the restaurant is now in the NSW’s ‘Name and Shame’ register on its website.

Another 120 Sydney restaurants across Sydney will be listed this year for being fined, 16 of them in the last 12 months in the Chatswood area.

“Containers then placed on food contact surfaces should be kept off the floor in shelves,” says a Safe Food Australia document on food safety standards.

“If these containers are stored on the floor, contamination from the floor is transferred from the bottom of the container to the food contact surface.”

Advertisement

.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button