ABC’s Juanita Nielsen documentary has been removed from iview as the network investigates possible inaccuracies
One of ABC’s most popular true crime documentaries has been removed from iview due to possible inaccuracies.
The two-part television series Juanita: A Family Mystery has been pulled from the streaming platform so the network can verify the claims of interviewee John Innes.
ABC addressed the issue in a statement to TV Tonight following a report in The Australian.
The two-part series Juanita: A Family Mystery has been removed from ABC’s iview so the network can verify the claims of interviewee John Innes
“It is important to note that the programmers have attempted to verify those claims, for example by talking to and/or conducting interviews with current and former NSW police officers, including those Mr Innes said he had previously identified. of the 1980s,’ they said. .
“The programmers also sought comment from the NSW Police Department, who chose not to dismiss Mr Innes’s claims until after they aired,” ABC continued.
“While some information about Mr Innes was not available to the program makers, we recognize that additional steps should have been taken to verify his claims.”
In addition to the series being removed, episodes seven and eight of the Juanita: A Family Mystery podcast were removed.
The true crime miniseries explores the mystery surrounding the death of journalist and activist Juanita Nielsen.
Juanita, who owned NOW alternative newspaper, disappeared from the center of Sydney’s seedy underbelly 46 years ago in one of Australia’s most notorious unsolved crimes.
At the time, the 38-year-old was a fierce activist who used her publication to campaign against developers to protect landmark buildings in Potts Point and promote the Builders Laborers Federation’s controversial greening bans in the 1970s.
Juanita, who owned NOW alternative newspaper, disappeared from the center of Sydney’s seedy underbelly 46 years ago in one of Australia’s most infamous unsolved crimes
Nielsen has never been found and no one has ever been charged with her disappearance, although it is widely believed that she was kidnapped and killed for her anti-development and anti-corruption campaigns.
She was the great-granddaughter of businessman Mark Foy and an heiress to his retail empire.
On the morning of July 4, 1975, Juanita walked into the Carousel Cabaret – a Kings Cross nightclub run by an associate of infamous underworld crime boss Abe Saffron – and was never seen again.
Her handbag was found eight days later on the side of a highway leading to the Blue Mountains, 60 km west of Sydney’s CBD.
She was the great-granddaughter of businessman Mark Foy and an heiress to his shopping empire (pictured with father Neil Smith)
During the initial investigation, the police uncovered a plot to kidnap Ms. Nielsen four days before her last known sighting.
Three men – including a Carousel Club employee – were charged with kidnapping conspiracy in 1977 and two were subsequently convicted of conspiracy to kidnap her, but no charges have ever been filed for her later disappearance.
A 1983 corona investigation found that Ms Nielsen was likely dead, but despite the case garnering extraordinary publicity, her remains have never been found.
In June, the NSW Police Department announced that the reward for solving the case had doubled to $1 million, as her devastated loved ones begged anyone with information to come forward so she could get a decent funeral.